2010. április 9., péntek

Ubuntu experiences

Well, I realized after onehalf month of trials that it is quite hard to get involved with Ubuntu. I think I am a professional and I understand that I should prove this to get some access to the community maintained repositories, but I only would like to maintain/provide fixes to some software. The way to provide fixes, just does not work for me. Everybody is very busy there, it is hard to push fixes forward. At least, this is my experience and I have more important things than struggle with these issues now. Seems to me the best way for the required backports and fixes, if I maintain that software stack in my PPA.

A good example is the google-perftools+libunwind. The google-perftools is broken for amd64 architecture since (at least) Jaunty. Debian integrated newer packages and they come into Lucid, but

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libunwind/+bug/522106

If somebody reads the bug with the linked bugs from other sources it is clear that it is easy to fix this issue: disable the setjmp library completely or only for amd64 where it does not compile. The bug is untouched more than one month ago. I have two choices:
1. Implement this quick fix and drop the packages in my PPA for Lucid and older versions (Karmic, Jaunty...) -> A few hours maximum.
2. Implement this quick fix and start the process to get it in Lucid and start an other process to get the packages into backports. -> Who knows how long time...?

A quick fix and advertising my PPA to the interested people seems to me much more easier. And I am not talking about putting new (already packaged) software to Ubuntu what is a nightmare compared to this.

Note that my thoughts can not be applied to crucial and complex packages (e.g. OpenOffice or GTK).

Nincsenek megjegyzések: