2008. február 14., csütörtök

OpenCV+IPP 2.: Profiling hell

I would like to profile what is going on with this, because it would be very nice to use this, because it is uses both CPU core parallel, thus I should not take care about run two different process to take advantage from multiple cores in the future.
I spent some hours to profile my library, because sprof said after run FindShapes with profiling the library:

sprof: failed to load shared object `libmyLibrary.so.0': No such file or directory

I tried everything and it was very suspicious that google said nothing about it.... After reading some additional articles about shared library profiling I found that the libraries and the program being run should not be compiled with profiling feature, because it confuses the profiler:

"...For the same reason, these applications must not be compiled with the -xpg option of cc..."

Why do the man pages related to profiling not say anything about it?...Mysterious... Search futher...Found: gprof does not support multi-threaded applications and "gprof is useless in today" from Ulrich Drepper, its author in 2002. Hey!? What the fuck'n shit? Out-of-date and it man page misses important points of its usage, then throw it in the trash. Please.
Thus, after recompiling everything without profiling, trying to use gprof and sprof without success, the last chance: oprofile and I have luck, there is a nice UI made by OpenedHand and repository for feisty/gutsy. I installed and it works, great! :)
Thus what is the profiling result?...

Nincsenek megjegyzések: